Book Review: Fish - Stephen C. Lundin: You Get Life Only Once The crux of this book is on page 44, and I would love to write the text of that page here so that all persons who read this review get the message even if they have not read the book.
It goes like: Faith - By David Whyte I want to write about faith about the way the moon rises over cold snow, night after nightfaithful even as it fades from fullness slowly becoming that last curving and impossible silver of light before the final darkness but I have no faith myself I refuse to give it the smallest entry Let this then, my small poem like the new moon, slender and barely open be the first prayer that opens me to faith
Now about the story Mary Jane had to join a job as supervisor in a company called ''First Guarantee Financials'' one of the largest financial institute in Seattle, after the sudden death of her husband Dane to take care of her kids. Mary Jane is a very successful supervisor, who has been promoted as Manager and has been rewarded a good pay hike and she is the new incharge of the third floor which is the most messed up floor, the floor that was involved in all the companies transactions, so that almost every one had to deal with this floor but unwillingly. Everyone is sure that there is no life on 3rd Floor of this office.
There is no energy, life in the people working at third floor. Mary could have turned down the promotion but she has a ''can-do'' attitude and thus accepts this challenge. Pike Place - the world's largest fish market was near to her office and she used to cross it while going out for lunch. She starts observing it everyday and soon learnt why it is so successful business place and how the persons working there do lot of work tirelessly. She learns certain things like - ''Change'', ''Play at work'' and other things. She implements these at her office and changes the complete scenario in no time. The dead 3rd floor becomes most lively floor in the complete office.
One must read this book.
1. We all have read this book ''Fish''. after reading how many of us and how much have we changed.
2. Mary Jane was not an exceptional lady, she was as normal person as we all are.
3. We need no necessarily go to Pike Place to learn the lessons she learnt.
4. We all have Mary Jane within us but deep frozen. We need to melt and bring her to life.
5. It is the faith, trust, optness/willingness/courage to change, and above all self belief that can make you learn lessons from wherever you go.
6. How many of us would have dared ot accept a promotion like this where there was a dead sure failure written on the walls everywhere.
7. Mary Jane learnt ''Make their day'', you make somebody happy every day and you yourself will be happy throughout the day. It is like this - As long as we run after happiness it runs away from us, the moment we start giving it we start getting manifolds.
8. Stop worrying about what is gone and what is to come. The past is history The future is mystery Today is a gift That is why we call it a GIFT 9. If we seek CHANGE and don't become a part of it, it will never happen.
The book is fabulous and a must read for everyone. It really delivers more than what I have stated above. Do read it.